Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Get out your binoculars, there's a new dealer in the Hood

I really wish that I could have told the little boys I babysit that the binoculars in the back of my car were for spotting deer. More likely, they were left there after a stake out, done by my parents, attempting to figure out what illegal substance was being sold by the new kids in the house across the street.

I can see it quite clearly, not because the exact situation just happened only from our dining room and during which my mother turned out all the lights to make sure he "couldn't see us watching him" in a real stalker type fashion, but because this is regular. Well, regular when you live somewhere that the most exciting news of the week is that a Steamboat dentist is on the new season of the Bachelorette, or that your neighbors are possibly drug dealers.

Across the street, a kid who is probably about 22 has moved in. He has that type of hair that looks like it is potentially ginger, and sticks out like he stuck his tongue in an electrical socket while enjoying a nice bubble bath and blow drying his hair. It is likely that he was hammering a stake into the ground, in the pouring rain, and then using it to rest his own pair of binoculars on it as a... school project? We didn't quite figure that part out, in our window creeping. However, something at the other end of the street seemed interesting to him. He also seemed to be using an App on his phone to make sure the stake was in at a 90 degree angle. Gotta make sure you don't mess that part up, when you are scoping out the people down the street... we certainly make sure we have nice resting posts for our binocs.

Perhaps he is actually doing his own investigation of the other possible drug house... I would guesstimate that from his perch he could see into their yard. My dad would thus jump to the conclusion that he is checking out his local competition. Wouldn't you be worried about who you were selling against, if you were cooking meth on Spruce Street?

Regardless of what he was doing, the possible physics project or landscaping issue he was having was the most exciting thing to occur in my mother's day today. Aside from my hourly phone calls about all the ridiculous things in my life, like a weirdo asking to take my picture with him or the doctor thinking that because I was in college I would now be "more familiar and comfortable with needles." Because... what... I went to college, developed a drug addiction, shoot up all the time and now have no fear of getting blood drawn? I don't know what she thinks I do at college, but I wasn't aware that becoming "comfortable" with needles was on the curriculum for normal students. Then again, look where I come from: a neighborhood that sneakily watches each other wondering if we can call the police yet. With all the drug dealers living around me, surely after another summer here getting my blood drawn will be just another afternoon needle stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment